Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Pretty in Pink

With all due respect to the designer, the Icelandic shawl was a yawner to knit. Fortunately, it's actually quite small when knitted with lace yarn, so the boredom didn't last long.




The yarn used, Richmore's Count 10 Color #103, is a variegated mohair with loooooong color runs. It was a truly luscious knit--the stuff is softer than Kidsilk Haze. Several folks have ordered some from Japan via Crescent. Treat yourself--it's fabulous stuff.

I am in my usual unsettled quandary about the next project. I swatched three different yarns for the Mediterranean shawl in Gathering of Lace and they all looked, well, meh. I guess I wasn't in a Mediterranean mood this morning. The shawl also requires a humongous amount of yarn--about 3600 yards--and I could see that I would be knitting it for years and years.

I will swatch for KnitSpot's Wings of The Moth and Goddess Knit's Desert Sun next.

Long ago, I had Lisa Souza dye some mohair very light Mother of Pearl. The visual result is a glittery white, but up close, the yarn is actually composed of very faint pastels. I had my eye on the Moth for this back then, and finally dug out the pattern this morning.

The picture of Desert Sun doesn't do it justice unless you are a brown fan.* The original one is shown in gold and it's lovely. I just happen to have two skeins of Claudia's Honey silk lace that would be perfect.


Looks like Milk and Honey to me! Well, Milk, Honey, and Harry, is a better description.

*In Japan, if someone asked me if I liked a particular brown yarn (or anything else), I would reply "Brown is not my favorite color." In America, I can express my opinion more directly: I loathe, despise, and abhor brown.

23 comments:

Dave said...

The pink shawl is lovely, but that Mother of Pearl mohair looks absolutely gorgeous. If you're taking votes about what we want to see next .....

miyamojo said...

Thanks for the Provisional Cast On!
I'm writing it down for next time!
I did manage to cut and p/u those 185 stitches without death - yay!

Pink shawl is very pretty!
That mohair does look like a giant pearl! Love it!

I love being able to say what I mean here in the USA! Like, "NO! I'm NOT doing THAT!"
m :)

Kathy said...

The Mother of Pearl mohair looks like a work of art on its own. I can't wait to see it knitted up in whatever incarnation.

Opal said...

I can see how the Icelandic Shawl would be a dull knit, but it came out beautifully.

I'm looking forward to seeing what project you pick next!

Iris G said...

I'm with everyone here, the Icelandic Shawl is very beautiful.
The moth shawl is clearly pretty, I'd vote for it! Nevertheless, I'm eager to see your swatch for the Desert Sun shawl--too hard to judge from the photo and I don't like brown at all;-).

Anonymous said...

droooooooool
I need me some mohair!!!

Anonymous said...

How many yards of laceweight did the shawl take?

Janice in GA said...

I thought the Icelandic shawl looked a bit of a yawner too. Of course, I looked at Sagittaria, and might knit it. So it's not like I don't do fairly easy stuff.

How big did your Icelandic shawl end up being?

Courtney said...

That is breath taking... OMG I love it!!!!!

LittleBerry said...

the shawl looks lovely but I don't think I'd fancy knitting it....

It's a shame that you can't see the GK shawl properly but I do like the Wings o' the Moth.... I love the Claudia silk lace in that colourway, but as I'm not a fluffy person the mohair doesn't do anything for me.......

Lacefreak said...

Dear fleegle,

The icelandic shawl came out very pretty but I'd slit my wrists if I had to knit it so no dice to that one. I've been tempted by the Goddess Knit shawl and will look forward to seeing hour yours comes out. The mohair is very very lovely. Can't wait to see how it looks. I suck with mohair myself so I have not touched the stuff in my stash,

Colette said...

Fleegle, that shawl is so beautiful. I normally don't like hand painted yarns for lace but this one just works. It must be the long colour repeats. Even though it was a boring knit, you did a wonderful job of matching the yarn with the pattern.

I can't wait to see what you make from the mohair.

missalicefaye said...

oooh--pretty! I love the striping. It certainly doesn't LOOK boring! :)

Kitty Kitty said...

The Icelandic shawl is lovely, but I can see how it would get a bit boring to knit.

I can not wait to see what the next project will be.

RoadSide said...

You could make anything with the pearly mohair adn it would be stunning--

How is Harry's shawl coming along?...I hope you didnt give up on it..I like it!

Hanh-Trang said...

Thank you Fleegle for all the tips and the various resources. Your knitting is beautiful. However, although I like variegated yarns for socks, I do have second thoughts about variegated lace unless it's a heavier weight for quick knits, non lace pattern.
Did you use any of the cashmere yarn from Yubina you gave the source earlier? Do they pill? Thanks for a very entertaining blog. Someday you should arrange Harry to meet Dolores (from the Panopticon).

KnitYoga said...

The Icelandic shawl has turned out to be lovely. I really like the way the colours came out. I was wondering how many skeins of laceweight it took?

The mother of pearl yarn is gorgeous and would make a stunning Wings of the Moth. I can see the very faint pastels that you mention even in the photo. Likewise, the honey coloured yarn would also be a definite winner for the Desert Sun shawl. You're spoilt for choice!

June said...

Wow, the Icelandic is gorgeous! Well, it may be a boring knit, but maybe a good one for mindless knitting?!

KnitYoga said...

Thanks for letting me know how much laceweight for the Icelandic shawl. I thought I might have a go with some laceweight that I've got but there won't be enough. Re. the seasilk - you asked what I'm going to do with it. i'm giving it away along with the chocs in a prize draw to celebrate my 2nd Blogiversary.

Ingalill said...

Wow! What a wonderful shawl....... I want to knit it in that yarn to!

chappy said...

Simply stunning! Colors are lovely!

Lorri said...

I love your shawl. What a beautiful color. How big was the finished shawl? I can't wait to see your Mediterranean Lace Shawl. That is one of my favorite lace designs.

N. Maria said...

It's beautiful!!! But, then again, you always do a wonderful job. :)